With the objective to constantly improve the quality of care provided to our patients, systematic clinical data collection can help the surgeons with the following aspects of their practice:
- Evaluation of clinical results and comparison with other research centers’ results.
- Evaluation of the effects of devices and surgical techniques on the patients’ clinical outcomes
- Contribution of these data to the orthopaedic community
The Joint Replacement Institute at St. VincentMedicalCenter is internationally recognized as a leading clinical research center in the field of joint replacement. The staff is engaged in various research studies including:
- Development and testing of bearing materials to extend the lifespan of joint replacements.
- Evaluation of the clinical performance of joint replacements, for example, using survivorship analysis, to identify the best materials and designs.
- Analysis of retrieved implants, including the study of wear particles and the histology of the surrounding tissues, to clarify the mechanisms of wear-induced clinical problems.
A number of research projects are conducted in collaboration with researchers from the J. Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center at Los AngelesOrthopaedicHospital.